Wednesday 24 August 2016

Devil's Porridge - A deadly mix




Good morning my Bookaholic Friends. Today I bring you a cracking historical crime book for your reading pleasure. 

I love Chris Longmuir's books and had been waiting for this one to be released for some time. Chris is an outstanding writer and this one is up to the usual high standards I expect of her. It is mainly set in the Gretna Munitions factory during the First World War and the historical setting is superb. I could almost feel like I was there and could picture the scene perfectly. The book has obviously been meticulously researched and the attention to detail is outstanding. The story moves along quickly, pulls you in and keeps you reading. The characters are well drawn with unique quirks and foibles. This makes them believable and I found myself rooting for them. Even the baddies had their endearing qualities. The one thing I will say is that there are a lot of characters. Initially I had difficulty keeping them straight in my head. However, Longmuir is a skilled writer and pulled everything together beautifully. Although the book is the second in the Kirsty Campbell series it is set before the first book, therefore you get an even better sense of Kirsty Campbell. I love this character and the fact she is based on Dundee's first policewoman endears her to me even further. I look forward to reading more about her in the future. I would highly recommend. this book for all lovers of historical crime fiction.



I was given an ARC of this book by the publisher for a fair review. This book is based on my reading of, and enjoyment of, the book. At no time was I asked to provide a positive review.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this. I live quite close to the Devil's Porridge museum and, to my shame, still haven't visited it.

    ReplyDelete