Wednesday 16 September 2015

The Village by Eleanor Watkins



Good morning bookaholics. Sorry I haven't been around lately. Life has been busy and I've been at 2 conferences. More about them later. In the meantime I have a review of a fabulous YA book for you..

The Village is set in an English Village during the time of the plague. It is seen from the viewpoint of three different children - Ellen, William and Sam. Each child is unique and I love the way we see the village and the effects of the Black Death through their different perspectives. The book is well researched and great attention paid to historical detail. However, do not be fooled into thinking that this is a dry book as it is not. The story is fascinating and kept me reading to find out what happens next. I genuinely could not put it down.

The attention to detail in this book is exquisite. At the top of each chapter there is a small illustration. This illustration is repeated on the page number. The icon is different for each character so emphasizes the character who is speaking in the particular chapter. I love this. It demonstrates that a great deal of thought has gone into it's production. All kudos to the publisher, Books to Treasure. 

This is a book which I can highly recommend. Children will love it and I am sure adults will too. 

Amazon UK The Village

Amazon USA The Village

There we have it for another week bookaholics.  See you back here soon.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in return for an honest review. At no time was I asked to provide a positive review. This is based on my reading, and enjoyment, of the book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment