Thursday 25 June 2015

A strategic Retreat Part 2



This is now day four of my writing retreat and it has been a roaring success. I've been head down, working hard and have achieved everything I wanted to achieve. Book 2 in the DI Shona Mckenzie Mysteries, Killer's Craft, has had its final edit and is good to go. I am now waiting patiently for the launch on 20th July, 2015. Okay, I'm not that patient but you get the gist. I am now storming ahead with book 3, Killer's Cross. I have managed to write up a storm, and that is partly down to the weather. I make no apologies for the dreadful pun here.

Initially I was praying for sunshine for the week. I had plans to sit out in the courtyard and write all day. This being Scotland, the weather had other plans. It has been dull, raining, windy, and today I have fog. Rather than sitting in a courtyard I have spent the week sitting at this writing desk, in front of a picture window.


It has been perfect. I have watched pounding waves break on the rocks at the bottom of the cliff. I have been eyeball to eyeball with swooping seagulls and other seabirds, just inches from my face. Towering rocks in the distance look like derelict castles, depending on the light. Trees, clinging to the cliffside, have been windblown and rainswept. Today there is thick fog shrouding the landscape in mystery. As I type the fog is slowly moving , drifting past my window with icy tentacles. 

So, as far as writing mysteries go, the week has been an astounding success. The atmosphere of the changing landscape has given me ideas for this, and future, books. The week has taught me, that as a writer, I need to be flexible and make the most of every situation. Nothing is wasted. Everything I do or see can be stored away and used at some time in the future.

So my Bookaholic friends my retreat is fast coming to an end. Tomorrow I will be back home and ready to take part in life again. I will do so with more vigour and a renewed sense of why I write. I would recommend this to any writer. 

What is your experience of retreats? have you been on any or are you contemplating doing one?


8 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds fantastic Wendy. So glad you've been fruitful in your writing. The weather has added to the whole experience. What a fab view!

    I adore writing/editing retreats. A time to immerse ourselves in the project and put distractions to one side. I would go on several a year if I could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Amy. They are so important to take stock and focus.

      Delete
  2. I would trade the hot New Mexico sun and the haze from forest fires for that lovely Scottish mist in a heartbeat! Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should do a swap for a couple of weeks Norma :-)

      Delete
  3. Sounds terrific, Wendy. Great that you've achieved all you hoped to.
    I love writing retreats and, like Amy, I would go to several every year if I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I'm with you and Amy. We need more writers retreats

      Delete
  4. I have even created myself a retreat week at home when my husband goes off for a week's golf in Span. I clear my diary completely, answer no phone calls and only check emails and social media at the end of the day when I have done my quota (of time rather than words) I tell everyone that I am going away in spirit if not in body. And, yes, they all respect that. I got five chapters (16,000 words) written in five days in March. Going away is brilliant, if possible but, if not, a 'home retreat' can work if you are determined enough. Cheaper too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a brilliant idea Fran. I'll need to try that

      Delete