Saturday 20 December 2014

The Altogether Unexpected Disappearance of Atticus Craftsman





Hello my bookaholic friends. I know it has been a little while since I brought you a good book but this book is worth the wait. Today I bring you a quirky and yet engaging mystery which is translated from the Spanish.

At first glance it would seem that this book is a Spanish crime novel but you soon find out it is so much more than this. you know the book is going to be good when the Inspector in charge of a missing persons case has changed his name to Manchego rather than the more humdrum (in Spanish quarters) Jandalillo. The inspector is an engaging chap who seems to play fast and loose with giving out privileged information to whomever he likes. Although the storyline had the possibility of being somewhat disjointed, the author holds it all together so well that it flows together and works. The storyline itself is good but the characters are where this book really comes into its own, they are larger than life and appear to be charicatures, but ones which work. The English characters are quinissentially upper class English with myriad eccentricities. The Spanish are flamboyant and the numerous gypsies, dark but lovable and over the top. I loved every one of them. The mystery is good, it rattles a long at a fair clip but at the same time is laugh out loud funny. It is a long time since a book has engaged me this much. I would definitely recommend it to all lovers of a madcap mystery. I shall certainly be looking out for more books by this author.

Please note I was given an advance copy of this book from the publishers in return for a fair and honest review. My review is based upon my reading of, and enjoyment of, the book. The book will not be available until January but you can preorder from the links below

Amazon UK

Amazon US

There we have it for another day my bookaholic friends. It will soon be Christmas and my hope for you is that Santa brings you lots of books.



No comments:

Post a Comment