Monday 21 July 2014

Interview with Author Elizabeth Davies




I am excited that Elizabeth Davies, author of a number of paranormal novels, has agreed to join us on the blog today. Welcome Elizabeth. It is lovely to have you here with us. Thank you for agreeing to an interview so we can find out more about your and your books.


I am sure my readers would like to know something about you. Could you start by telling us a little bit about yourself

I live in Wales, part of the UK, am married and we have a teenage daughter, and a scruffy old dog.


What genre of books do you write

Paranormal romance, though I do have ideas for other novels which are probably more dramas than anything else.


Why does this genre interest you

I can really let my imagination run wild with paranormal novels. No one can really say what’s right or what is wrong within this genre, although the author still needs to make sure it’s plausible.


Could you tell us a bit more about your books

I have three published novels, a trilogy, the first one called ‘State of Grace’. They are a mixture of vampires, time-travel and historical. I have just completed another paranormal romance, this time with the focus on ghosts, but also in a historical setting, called The Spirit Guide, and hope this will be published by the end of August.


The readers of this blog are both writers and readers. What would be your top tip for aspiring writers.

Edit, edit and edit again. Writers never see all their own errors, and believe me, everyone makes them. Get as many eyes to edit/proofread as possible, and if you can afford it, hire a professional. It might not be cheap, but it may save you poor reviews in the future.


Who is your favourite character in one of your books, and why

Roman – he’s a vampire, and I love the way he is so aloof and removed from the problems that humans face.


Where in the world are your books set.

They are set in South Wales, where I grew up. I know the area well, and it is full of mountains and castles, and over 2000 years of history – think King Arthur and Merlin.


Could you tell us a bit more about this area of the world

It is part of the UK, but also separate, in that we have our own government. If readers want to know more about Wales, they can read my blog post on ‘Being Welsh’, www.elizabethdaviesauthor.co.uk.


It's time to get personal now.

What would you say is your favourite meal

Lasagne! Whenever we go out for dinner, I’m so boring – I always choose the same thing. I know I’m going to enjoy it, but then I sneak a bit from my husband’s plate just to see if I like what he’s having.



What do you do in your free time

I don’t have much free time, but when I’m not working, writing (and doing things associated with writing), or chores, I like to hike in the mountains. Up high, with the clean wind in my face, and the scents of heather and bracken, I feel cleansed and refreshed.


Could you tell us one surprising thing about yourself

I like playing with bricks and cement – there’s nothing like a bit of DIY to make me feel I’ve achieved something! And laying a patio is quicker than writing a novel…


What would you say was your favourite colour and why

The colour of bluebells. It reminds me of spring, and the summer to come.


Thank you Elizabeth. This has been so interesting. It is great to have a fellow Celt on the blog and to learn more about you and your writing. I love South Wales as well. I used to go to Porthcawl regularly when I lived down South. Thanks for the advice about editing. I am sure all the Bookaholic readers who are also writers will take this to heart.

You can visit Elizabeth in the following ways:


I am sure you will agree with me that it has been a pleasure meeting Elizabeth. See you back on Bookaholic soon with another great review. Until then. Keep reading. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me on your blog, and I'm off to Porthcawl tomorrow! I'm taking my mum for a day at the seaside - fish and chips and donkeys on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your time in Porthcawl. I hope your mum enjoys her day out and her fish and chips

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your day with your mum, Elizabeth. Great job--and thanks, Wendy, for hosting her. My husband and I visited the UK several years ago. Took the ferry from Ireland to Angelsee, spent lovely days at a B&B there. :-)
    Much continued luck with your writing!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete