Saturday 22 February 2014

The 500 by Mathew Quirk




Today on Bookaholic I bring you a real page turner of a mystery thriller.

This is the first book published by Matthew Quirk and I sincerely hope it will not be his last. Mike Ford has escaped from his upbringing and background as a member of a crime family.  After working hard to graduate from Harvard law school he has landed a job in a prestigious Washington firm. The job and the income seem like a dream. However,  he soon comes to realise that he is in it right up to the top of his new designer suit in more trouble than he left behind. His supposedly "honest" firm is not what it seems and Mike is playing a part that he wasn't expecting to play and certainly doesn't want to play.

I can't say much more without giving the plot away, but no one is who they seem and throughout the book would will be wondering, 'who are the good guys,who are the bad guys'? Often it is difficult to work out. As I say nothing is apparent. This is a well written book, with a good writing style which hooks the reader, pulls them in and keeps them reading. I could really identify with all the characters, good and bad and they are certainly well scripted. There are a lot of twists and turns and this kept me turning the pages. It is not a long book, but the story does not suffer for this. It is not your usual blood and guts thriller, with dialogue being used to paint the picture of what is happening, but some scenes are quite gruesome. I loved this book and would highly recommend it.

I was given a copy of this book from the publishers in return for a fair and honest review. I was not expected or urged to write a positive review. The review I have given is fair and based on my reading of the book. 

So that's it for another day. The next book I am reading is almost 800 pages long so it may be a couple of days before I get to you again. With all the bad weather around the world why not download this book and spent a pleasant few hours in the warmth reading. See you all next time on Bookaholic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment