Tuesday 24 September 2013

An Officer and A Spy by Robert Harris: Historical Legal Thriller


I don't often read historical books, preferring a contemporary setting, but I always make an exception for Robert Harris. It is some time since I have read one of his books so when I was offered the chance of an advance reader copy I accepted gratefully. Actually that is putting it mildly. I leapt at the chance.

This book is set in France at the turn of the 20th century. It is based on a true story where Alfred Dreyfuss, an officer in the French army is accused, tried and found guilty of being a spy. Some years later Georges Picquart, an officer involved in the case, finds evidence that this may not be the case. This simple premise hides a book which is more than absorbing. 

Harris writing has the ability to draw you into the story and transport you to the places of which he is speaking. I could hear the stomping of the horses feet, smell 19th Century Paris in the summer and felt like I was best friends with the characters. The characters are exquisitely drawn and each, whether bad or good, felt like real people. It was obvious a lot of work had gone into the research for this book.

Throughout the book Harris had me in the palm of his hand. The storyline is enthralling and urged me to keep reading. The twists and turns had me on a roller coaster ride of emotions. I genuinely cared about all of the characters and what happened to them. That was the case for all the characters even if I was urging them to get their just deserts. These are the signs of a good book and this one is more than good, it is outstanding. It is some time since I have read a book which absorbed me so completely. This is a definite highly recommended.

That's it for now on bookaholics. My next book is waiting in the wings. Until next time find a good book and keep reading. 

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to know more about the Dreyfuss case. Sounds like I should read this to get the full scoop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it is a novel the author says that he has researched everything and all the characters are real. It was so interesting. I couldn't wait to find out what happened

      Delete