Sunday 11 August 2013

Thrills, Spills and Murder Most Foul

Today in Bookaholics I am bringing you two books rather than my usual one. I enjoyed them both equally and couldn't make up my mind which to choose to blog about first so you are getting a double portion.




Deliver us from Evil by David Baldacci

It has been some time since I have read a Baldacci Book and I had forgotten just how good he can be. Shaw is back in this book and this time is hunting down Evan Waller who has links to Islamic Terrorism. He is selling them nuclear warheads so Shaw has been tasked with taking him out. However, all is never easy in Shaw's world. There is another group after Waller for completely different reasons and they are equally intent on bringing him down. There are two stories running through this book but Baldacci weaves them together like the master story teller he is. The two groups come up against each other and this causes increasing tension. There is something for everyone in this book and it keeps you guessing throughout. The ending is tense and explosive and keeps you guessing. The characters in this book are expertly drawn and each of them seems real. So much so that by the end of the book I felt like I knew them.

Although this is the second book in a series, it can be read as a standalone. There is just enough of the backstory included that it informs, without turning off those who have read the first book. This is a first class, fast paced thriller and I would highly recommend it as I would all David Baldacci's books.





Ripper Hunter: Abberline and the Whitechapel Murders

My second offering is as good as the first but in a completely different way. Books about Jack the Ripper are as easily found as whore's in a brothel. However, this one is lifted out of the humdrum by looking at things from a different perspective.

This is a biography of Detective Inspector Frederick Abberline who was in charge of the ripper investigation. The book doesn't just focus on the Ripper investigation but gives a full accounting of Abberline's life and work. Not only is this a biography but also an interesting snapshot of life in London in the 1800's. The book is full of interesting facts which kept me reading. Despite Abberline having tried to keep his life private the author has done a good job of unearthing facts about him. He then draws these together into one very interesting read.

The author has a nice writing style which prevents this book from being stuffy and means it is easy to read. If you would like to see the Ripper murders from a different perspective then I am sure you would enjoy this book. Just remember the Ripper murders are not the whole focus of the book.

As a note to my US readers. I have provided links to the paperbacks of these books. However, they are available in kindle version at a much cheaper price. As I am in the UK I cannot post Amazon US Kindle books.

I hope you enjoy these books as much as I did. See you very soon on Bookaholics. So, until then, find a good book and keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment