Thursday 27 June 2013

Writing and all Such Things

Another change from the usual book review blog to update you on the progress with my books. It's been a busy time recently but I have still managed to find time each day for writing. So what is happening?

Firstly I wasn't shortlisted for the Dundee International Book prize but I am not disheartened. I feel like I am up there with some of the literary greats who were rejected a number of times. These include Agatha Christie with the Mysterious Affair at Styles and John Grisham with A Time to Kill. Despite rejection, they believed in themselves, persevered and the rest, as they say, is history. Bloody but unbowed I will continue. On second thoughts maybe not the best phrase for a crime writer.

I am currently in the process of editing Killers Countdown, the first book in the series. I am working with a professional editor who has proven herself to be excellent. This is both an interesting exercise and hard work. I now know how my poor students felt when I handed them back assignments. Still it is worth it and I am sure the book will be much better having gone through this process.

I am now in the process of writing and researching book two, Killers Craft. I am having a whale time . The characters seem real and I am surrounded by police officers who want to do their own thing. So far I am managing to make them tow the line, but who knows what will happen. It's a good thing when that happens as it takes me, and the story,  in directions I never suspected.

As I write I also find myself investigating all sorts of strange things. With all the google searches on murders and dead bodies I'm expecting a knock on the door any minute. Given all the coverage on electronic monitoring it wouldn't surprise me if many authors are at the top of someone's watch list. It's a good job my local police are aware of what I am up to. I have to say Tayside Police have been extraordinarily helpful and are answering all my questions patiently.

I must be a glutton for punishment as I have signed up to do Camp NaNoWriMo in July. This stands for National Novel Writers Month which happens in November. However, they do a version of this in July where you decide how many words you will write over the month. I have said I will do 50,000 which is the equivalent of the November one. I am looking forward to it but would love you to cheer me on.

So all in all, life is good in this writers life. I am still managing to find time to read, which can of course count as research for me. I've been reading some great books so tune in next time to hear all about them. Until then keep calm and keep reading.

For anyone who missed my previous writers blogs they can be found below

Confessions of a Nervous Novelist
A Writers Life
All Things Writing

4 comments:

  1. Good luck Wendy! Your research sounds comprehensive!I've had similar thoughts about some of my Google searches, for my novel. Anybody who's checking up on my internet history would probably have cause to doubt my motives, too. I spent today checking up on a sinister Australian sect, which was so disturbing it's made me rethink the way it which I use it in my novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your book sounds exciting. You will have to let me know when it's out

      Delete
  2. Hi Wendy,

    The very best of luck to you. My goodness, that 50,000 words sounds one hell of a challenge! Brave girl! Go for it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geraldine. I did the 50,000 words when I did NaNoWriMo in November so hopefully will be able to dot again in July

      Delete